As scary as it sounds, there is something you can do to protect yourself. Here are some tips from ProtectMyID.com:
- Be very cautious about providing your Social Security number unless necessary by law, such as for employment, tax forms or bank records. Many forms may ask for your Social Security number even though it's not required.
- Don't have your Driver's License number printed on your checks.
- Do not carry your Social Security card (or your children's) in your wallet.
- Do not make your PIN or password obvious or easy to guess and never carry them in your wallet.
- Choose online or "paperless" statements from your financial institutions. Fewer documents sent in the mail with your personal information mean fewer opportunities for thieves to steal them.
- Shred all sensitive information before throwing in the trash. This includes bank statements, credit card receipts, phone and utility bills and pre-approved credit card offers.
ProtectMyID.com is a leading, full-service provider of identity theft detection, protection and fraud resolution. Membership to ProtectMyID.com includes daily monitoring of members’ credit reports, looks out for any change of address activities, and sweeps the Internet for any unsecured use of members’ credit/debit or Social Security numbers. Alerts are provided automatically, giving members an early warning system and more importantly, peace of mind.
ProtectMyID.com has offered me a 1-year subscription for review. After joining, I was immediately shown my credit report, which is really interesting to see. Seriously, it shows you everything you have ever done. I haven't made the smartest decisions financially, and you can see that too, on my report. However, I do feel safer, knowing that I can check and see who has requested to see my report, and also that ProtectMyID.com is keeping an eye on things for me.
One of my lucky readers will also win a 1-year subscription to ProtectMyID.com. Trust me, this is one giveaway you REALLY want to win!
Visit ProtectMyID.com and tell me something you learned from the FAQ. This entry is mandatory and must be completed before any other entries will be counted.
(Leave each entry in a separate comment, so that it gets counted! Also, make sure you leave your email in the entry if it is not on your profile!)
- 1 entry- Become a public follower of Mommy Loves Giveaways
- 1 entry- Subscribe to Mommy Loves Giveaways by email.
- 1 entry- Become a fan of Mommy Loves Giveaways on Facebook
- 1 entry- Update your Facebook status with this giveaway
- 1 entry- Add my button to your website
- 3 entries- Blog about this giveaway and link back to my blog and to ProtectMyID.com (include the link to your post)
- 10 entries- Purchase anything from ProtectMyID.com
- 1 entry- Tweet about this giveaway (@heatherbusch) (you may tweet once a day)
- 1 entry- Enter any of my other current giveaways (1 entry for each giveaway)
Giveaway ends November 13 @ midnight CST. Winner will be chosen through random.org. **Open to U.S. residents ** I received product from the company above in exchange for posting about the product. This is solely my opinion, and not a paid review.